Checking your Ketone levels on the hCG Protocol

Ketosis is part of the process that takes place when your body’s metabolism converts fat into energy. When this is taking place, it is the time that you lose the most fat. The name ketosis relates to the fats that are stored and then release as energy, which is known as ketones. When people eat less carbohydrates, their bodies turn to fat into energy and more ketones are generated.

Check your urine on the testing strip to see how your ketone levels are excreting out of your body. The strips will change pink or purple, depending upon how many ketones are in your urine.

Noted biochemistry professor Dr. Richard Feinman from SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn, New York provided a very succinct explanation for how these Ketostix are supposed to work:

“There is a continuum of ketosis. In fact, one of the features of ketone bodies is that, unlike other fuels, glucose and fatty acids, they can be present in plasma over a wide range of concentrations. What is true is that Ketostix measure ketonuria (ketones in the urine) which may or may not give you an accurate view of plasma ketone bodies. If ketone bodies are used as fast as they are made, you may never see ketosis.”

Watch this video for more information.

Comments

1. Tamara Jensen says:

Thanks So Much,
    Tammy Jensen
    tamarajensen@ymail.com

2. can you tell me about the coconut oil and macadamia nuts. I have not used them and am down to 119. Still loosing. However, I am working to motivate my family members who are on HCG. My one neice is doing everything she should, but not getting a dark showing on her pee strips. Any help you can give me in this respect would be appreciated. Oh and the chocolate delite that you were talking about. What is that?
    Thanks So Much,
    Tammy Jensen
    tamarajensen@ymail.com

3. Tamara Jensen says:

4. My niece isn’t on the drops, she is on the injections. She has not stalled, but rather cannot get her ketosis strips up to dark. I am just about to go to phase 3, but am very interested in the coconut oil and macadamia nuts and what is in them that make them help to release fat. I will also have Jayne, sign into this site and converse with you. Thanks for all your wonderful help. I need to get 4 more pounds off with 9 more injections. So I want to do whatever I need to, to help me accomplish that goal Tamara

5. Christine says:

Can you tell me what is your v log?

6. Christine says:

Carol, Please tell me what you did to not be hungry everyday. I gained almost 10 #'s on the load days and can't seem to be satisfied with a meal.

• This may not be correct, but this is how I am doing it. I am on the drops, I am supposed to take 10 drops sub-lingual 3 times daily. Instead I broke it into 5 drops 6 times daily. I take 5 drops every 3 hours instead of 10 drops every 6 hours. It’s the same amount but before I did that I was STARVING always. I loaded and loaded and gained 10 lbs on load days. I lost 13 lbs the first week but felt famished every day. Now, spreading them out, I am not hungry any longer. *** Question, my Ketone stick is on darkest purple VERY high. Is this bad? As an EMT, I would be very worried for such a patient. Could I be putting myself at risk here? I am eating the recommended foods and amounts. ***

7. carolensminger says:

with the right amount of hCG you will not be hungry. the hCG puts about 2000 calories into your body daily. If you are struggling, then it may be possible you did not load properly.

8. Carol I was asking on facebook how I can raise my ketones and someone immediates comes back and says “OMG. You don’t want it moderate to high. You don’t want ketones at all. This is not healthy at all. People get ketones when they have stomach flu. Anorexics get ketones. Diabetics get ketones when their blood sugar is too high. This is not good!” So since my ketone strip tested at just a trace (I am on R2P2vlcd10) isnt that what I am suppose to be doin is having it in the moderate to high zone to be burning fat? If I just have a trace am I suppose to be having it in the high zone? If suppose to be in the high zone what can I do to raise those ketones?

• I don’t think checking ketones is key to doing the protocol and being successful. It’s kind of interesting and fun to check, but I did my entire first round without even knowing if I was in ketosis. And you only need a trace on your stick to be in ketosis, you don’t need to be moderate to high.

• but what do they recommend for it to be at? I am just curious cause am gettin all kinds of conflicting stories. Mine was a trace this morning which I did an apple day yesterday. I was told omg no you dont want any, but then again I was also told you want it to be at least moderate to be in the fat burning while in P2. So now I am so confused what am suppose to be doing. I didnt check em at all on round 1 cause didnt know about it. But I started doin it on this round as someone suggested and now am getting conflicting stories.

HELP!!!!!

• I go into a clinic who takes care of all of this. I go in once a week for a shot. I have a booklet on everything from the dr. I was on skype with a dr too. It was great. find a clinic so they can supervise you. I am moderate and doing great.  I definately did not do it on line. I do a shake with instant coffee from starbucks at 9am another one at 11am then lunch about 12’30 1pm. I have a protien over a vegatable salad and a fruit. Never fruit alone or in a shake. I have another shake around 4pm and if I am hungry inbetween I have some cooked ground turkey cooked in a container or 7% beef.  dinner at 6 which can be fish broiled bbq or friend in their oil they give me to use on anything that requires an oil.  shake again 2 hrs later.  so easy. first week I lost 7 lbs. Tonight I am going ot a yaught club for dinner and will have fish with nothing on it. and steamed veggies and coffee a dish of fruit. Never any sauces.  Great with me.  this is in the first phase. did it help? I do miss my G &  T right now but soon .:)O

As long as there is just a trace, you are in ketosis which is right where you want to be =)

9. How do you add the extra virgin coconut oil to P2 diet? Just eat it plain?

10. Costco carries the strips too for about $10 a tube. I believe there are 50 strips in a tube.

11. so what level is good ketosis – my first measurement today was a bit darker than 40 but not as dark as 80. Is higher better or mid range? (I’ve heard both)

12. Ally Davis says:

I’m only in my first week of this diet, and my ketones are really high. I am getting 80-160 each morning. I saw the recipe for the chocolate delight (I really miss my chocolate!) but I am afraid to try it since it -raises- ketones. Is there as such thing as too high while taking the drops? Thanks! I really love this website!

allydavis413@hotmail.com

13. What other types of food affect Ketone’s, I use Coconut oil, and just bought some macadam nuts still only record a trace.Getting ready to start round 2 and would like to increase my ketone out put.

• it is fine to show trace ketones on this diet. With the water intake and
      the veggies you will likely only register trace. Ketones increase with
      higher protein which is lower on this diet as well. But as long as it is
      trace you are good and burning fat :)

14. Ssterling3 says:

My ketone level is negative and I had several choco delights yesterday. what else can I do to increase ketone levels?

15. Anonymous says:

Every body is different and every body reacts different. The best way is stay hydrated and eat a healthy and balanced diet.

Some find that 2Tbsp of coconut oil in your diet helps raise ketones. We do know it is really good for you and should be consumed daily. read more here: http://miracleskinnydrops.com/coconut-oil-and-mct-oil/

You can totally do this without being in ketosis. A lot of people think this is key or so important and it’s really not. Sticking to protocol is the best way to do hCG.

16. Caden_corbin says:

you do not want ketones in your urine. I am a diabetic. Ketones in urine can be dangerous. Continuously in Ketosis can cause serious long term problems or even death. Take it from me don’t be stupid

• carolensminger says:

ketones
      released by diabetics, and ketosis in dieting are different. it’s
      good for diabetics to check their ketones as high levels of
      ketones
      can be dangerous. All diabetics should know their own dangers. The
      majority of those on hCG are not diabetic. Thanks!

17. Yankeefan says:

Hi, i’m new to this hcg drop.  I am on day 4, I bought the keotone strips today, I don’t know if my negative reading was because I didn’t test my urine in the morning.  But, if I keep testing negative does that mean the drops I purchased does not have hcg in them?

18. ElizabethSingapore says:

I tested my ketones on R1P2 D4 and the color is navy blue. I am drinking lots of water and eating my 3.5 oz of protein every day. Have you seen this before? I am also losing weight too.

• carolensminger says:

As long as you are losing weight, I would not be concerned. (does not apply to diabetics) Sometimes the strips are bad and can give incorrect readings.

19. I tested my ketones and it was a moderate but I after seven days still feel dizzy and faint. I don’t know if I should quiet?

20. Carol , I am confused , I have done Atkins all my life and I understand Ketosis very well but on the hcg diet protocol, it says that if you eat or add fat to the diet your body will burn the fat your eating instead of the fat on your body , so isn’t adding coconut oil to your diet defeating burning fat off your body , and the reason your in a deeper ketosis is because the hcg is causing your body to burn the fat you just ate?

21. Carol , I wanted to know if you have had any knowledge of someone using heavy creme in coffee in the morning while on hcg , it seems to be to hard to give up , will I still use weight if I use the creme ? I am sticking to protocol on every thing else exactly.

• You may use heavy cream and count it as your dairy. You will need to figure out how much your body can have and still have the losses you want. I am not sure how much you are using, but try and keep it around 1 Tbsp

22. Vera Conrad says:

are we talking about the hard lard looking coconut oil for phase 2?

Trackbacks

1. [...] of food and water. Fitday.com has a wheel that you can easily view your levels. And check your ketone levels – a low level may mean you are getting too much protein and not enough of the other [...]

2. [...] of food and water. Fitday.com has a wheel that you can easily view your levels. And check your ketone levels – a low level may mean you are getting too much protein and not enough of the other [...]